9/29/14

Is the world really going to s***?

It sure feels like it if you look at the front page of the newspaper. Two more dead animals found in Blackstone home (The Boston Globe).  ISIS Video Shows Execution of David Cawthorne Haines, British Aid Worker (The New York Times). You may say to yourself: those are not even from today's paper. True. I try to avoid the news because it is so depressing, and every time I do look, this is what I find.

We are exterminating species from this planet at a rate a thousand times higher than before humans existed.

We are multiplying at a rate far beyond the capacity of the planet to support us; sometimes I think we are a plague.

We live the theme of my high school English class, "man's inhumanity to man," and extend it to every living thing, as well as the very air, water, and soil.

We are apparently content to let 15+ million US children go hungry and almost 3 million US animals be euthanized (and not call it murder).

And yet, don't we have a responsibility to try and do some good, however small? What about just putting some sunshine and positivity out there? I know it's hard, and sometimes we have to really look, but here's the thing: we don't have to really look to find someone or something that needs our attention and our help and our encouragement.

As Margaret Mead said, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."

http://thevibrancypath.com/what-a-difference-you-can-make-in-the-world-let-your-power-of-altruism-shine

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions and will do my best to answer in a reasonable time, though working on my next novel has to come first.