12/23/13

A List of Ten of Another Sort (not Best, not Worst, just Mine)

Favorite Reads of 2013

The Goldfinch, Donna Tartt  I rooted for Theo Decker through every word of every page, all 771 of them, and then was so sad when it was over that is was hard to begin another book, and for me that is saying something.

Me Before You, Jojo Moyes  I knew it would end badly, of course it ends badly, but it was a marvelous journey anyway.

We Need to Talk about Kevin, Lionel Shriver  This one scared me so horribly that I cannot look at a high school gymnasium without shivering.

Runners-Up

The Paris Wife, Paula McLain  It is certainly not a flattering portrait of Ernest Hemingway from the perspective of his tremendously patient first wife but a fascinating one nonetheless.

Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn  Another scary one, and I am not a horror reader generally, this one had me wishing ardently for the death of a main character, no spoilers on which.

Thirteen Reasons Why, Jay Asher  Take a trip through the mind of a high school girl on the brink and remember to be nice to everyone. Everyone.

Biggest Book Disappointment

Life After Life, Kate Atkinson  Perhaps it was because I ADORE Jackson Brodie, her series protagonist and anti-hero extraordinaire, and he was nowhere to be seen, but one Life would have been more than enough for me.

Most Anticipated Reads of early 2014

Into the Still Blue, Veronica Rossi  I started four dystopian series last summer and finished three, and I liked this one second best thus far, behind Matched, Ally Condie but ahead of Divergent, Veronica Roth and Delirium, Lauren Oliver. What is up with Veronicas writing dystopian? (Also, so tired of dystopian--am I the only one?)

Lost Lake, Sarah Addison Allen Her books are magical (magicial realism, duh), but they really are. It's like every page comes with glitter and sparkles embedded in the very best way.

Okay, I lied, but it's only nine. These are what came to me, and I'm sticking with them.
stack of well-thumbed books from Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions and will do my best to answer in a reasonable time, though working on my next novel has to come first.